Q. How do I use Mediaspace to make a recording?
Staff and students can record their own video content on a PC or Mac using the Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder provided as part of our Mediaspace platform. Smart phone users can also log in to video.northampton.ac.uk with their browsers and upload directly from their camera library.
How do I use MediaSpace to make a recording?
How to install the Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder
- Go to video.northampton.ac.uk (Kaltura MediaSpace)
- Press the top-right 'Welcome' button and chose login.
- Click > Add New > Record a Lecture
- Press the button to download the Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder onto your computer.
- Launch the downloaded file 'Kaltura.CaptureSpace.Desktop.Recorder' (exe/dmg)
Once you have downloaded Kaltura onto your computer, you will see the icon on your desktop and within >Start >All Programs. You may use the file locally, however it is best to launch the app when logged into Kaltura MediaSpace, as this allows you to upload your video.
How to record a video or audio recording
- Once you have installed Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder go back to the Kaltura browser and select > Add New > Record a Lecture
- Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder will launch in front of the browser window.
- With both Kaltura open in your browser window and the desktop record app open select:
>‘Add New’ and then chose ‘Record a lecture’
We suggest you use to top option; Presentations and Lectures, for video recordings as this contains the most options.
The exception is the voice recording.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR MAC USERS
You can use the Kaltura Capturespace Recorder on Mac but there is an additional setting which you need to enable in order for you to be able to record full presentations successfully. Please follow this guidance from Kaltura:
- To enable keyboard actions for presentation recording on Mac OS X 10.8, under System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Keyboard check “Enable access for assistive devices”. On Mac OS X 10.10, under System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> Privacy Tab, check the box to allow access to Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder.